Weighing scales are versatile devices used to measure the weight of single or multiple objects. They are typically used for weighing smaller items, such as jewellery or food. The majority of scales feature a plate or bowl platform on which to place the item to be weighed. Analogue scales, or mechanical scales, use a spring mechanism to read the weight of the item. Digital scales use the force of the weight to generate an electric signal and provide an accurate weight reading. Digital scales are ideal for applications where precision is essential. Weighing scales provide a reading in a range of different units, for example in grams (g), kilograms (kg), Pounds (lbs) and Stone (St). Some offer multiple options so it is important that you choose a device suitable for your application. You can find more information in our weighing scales guide.
Types of weighing scale
From precision measurements in laboratories to retail transactions and logistics management, weighted scales play a crucial role in ensuring accuracy, efficiency, and compliance. Weighing scales are available in a wide range of sizes, capacities, and configurations to suit various applications. Choosing the right type of weighing scale based on specific needs is essential for accurate weight measurements and optimal performance. Common types include:
- Bench scales are used on workbenches or counters. They are a small scale used for weighing smaller materials. They are commonly used in laboratories, schools and warehouses.
- Counting scale are able to weigh objects and count them simultaneously. This replaces manual counting and prevents human error. Counting scales can also provide check weighing against a pre-set weight.
- Hanging scales measure weight when the load is suspended from the scale. The load is attached using a hook or strap.
- Crane scales are a type of hanging scale used for heavier items.
- Pocket scales are compact devices designed for weighing on-the-go.
Calibrated Bench Weighing Scales
Weighing scales are used regularly which could mean the level of accuracy drops. It is important that your scales give accurate readings and one way to ensure this is by calibrating your scales. RS offers a calibrated option at initial purchase stage and a yearly calibration service all to RSCAL standard.
- RS PRO Weighing Scale, 20g Weight Capacity
- Kern Weighing Scale, 50kg Weight Capacity
- Dymo Weighing Scale, 5kg Weight Capacity
- RS PRO Weighing Scale, 30g Weight Capacity
- Dymo Weighing Scale, 10kg Weight Capacity
- RS PRO Weighing Scale, 10g Weight Capacity
- Dymo Weighing Scale, 2kg Weight Capacity
- Dymo Weighing Scale, 1kg Weight Capacity